Sunday, April 18, 2010

Comfort for the seat of my pants

"Feel" on your motorcycle is translated through three points of contact - hands, feet and your butt. Seat selection is important and I've always replaced the OEM seat with something more suitable to my riding, not to mention my posterior.


The stock seat on the XR1200 isn't bad. I did the 10 day trip through New England - maybe 1200 miles total - on the stock seat and never once thought about the seat. Thehighest compliment you can pay to the motorcycle seat is that you don't notice it even after the longest day.


Still, not to be deterred, I switched the stock seat out for the Saddleman Seat Pad ($225) from Storz Performance (purveyor of many tasty items for the XR1200 and the company from which HD had to acquire the name rights).




The Saddleman Seat Pad is a direct replacement for the stock seat. My initial motivation was about 1" more height. At 6'4" my legs can use the extra space. The added benefit was a more rounded edge on the seat and a little more room to slide back.


After six months of use, I'm hooked. I love the seat and how it feels. This summer will provide a good test of benefits in endurance conditions when we head to Colorado for a week long trip. More on that in a subsequent blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment