Sunday, November 20, 2011

Getting a Grip- Gripster Tank Pads

At the California Superbike School, they teach you to grip the edge of the tank to keep weight off the handlebars and to help you relax your grip on the bars. The gripping starts in your feets - the balls of your feet push down on the pegs and you knees grip whatever you can on the bike's tank. Since most tanks are slippery - painted metal or plastic, the addition of a gripping material helps your knees "get a grip" on the tank. On my R6, I used Stomp Grip. Clear plastic with pointy nibs all over the surface that grab your leathers. Worked incredibly well and also wore the sides of the knees on my leathers. Because the leathers are expensive and I don't want to wear them out, I was looking for an alternative. At CSS, they have TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips for sale. The XR1200 is rare enough that they don't have a special pre-cut model for it. I ordered blank sheets from the TechSpec website. They are about 8 1/2 x 11. The XR1200 also has a narrow tank (the tank is really a cover) and very little gripping area. I'm starting with the small section just below the edge of the tank cover which is the side of the plastic fuel tank and hoping this will provide enough grip. If that's not enough, I may also try a slim amount on the side of the tank cover too.

No comments:

Post a Comment