Saturday, September 13, 2014

Better safe than sorry - adding crash protection

Just like I always wear my protective gear, I wanted the XR1200 to have the best chance of surviving a crash. I added GSG Moto axle sliders front and rear. While I was at it, I also added the GSG Moto swing arm spools so that I could easily use my rear stand. (Helpful for rear wheel removal and for using tire warmers at the track). The oil cooler sticks way out on the left side - a disaster waiting to happen. For the Vance and Hines XR1200 race series, the race kit relocates the oil cooler behind the number plate. Out of the way in case of a crash. I ride mine most days to work and wanted to keep it as a street bike, so this wasn't feasible for me. The Evotech crash bobbins is a bar which goes across the whole front of the bike, providing protection for the upper part of the bike and particularly for that oil cooler.

1 comment: